We rely on donations for our continued existence – donations of money and donations of time and expertise. There are many new projects that we’d like to do but simply don’t have the time or indeed the money to be able to. These include but are by no means limited to:
- Extending OpenAustralia.org to include all State and Territory parliaments
- Including information on how each local member votes in Federal Parliament
- Extending planning alerts to cover every local authority in Australia
- Listing the contact information for all Members of Parliament
- Developing new projects like ‘Fix my street’ where people can use technology to lobby and track essential community development work
- Creating ElectionLeaflets.org.au for all State and Territory elections
- Establishing an annual competition to recognize civic projects developed by non-government web-developers
- providing support and expertise to enable other community building and civic engagment web projects
If you have other ideas about what we could do please contact us, we’d love to hear from you.
It’s very easy to see things in your community, neighbourhood or indeed country that could do with improvement. It’s just as easy to do something about it. Volunteering gives you a way of achieving something that really matters, that actually makes a difference, to the world and to yourself and you may just master a new skill in the process.
How can you help?
The OpenAustralia Foundation is always looking for people to help us. Your input could be as simple but necessary as:
- Making a suggestion – maybe you have an idea for something new we could be doing
- Reporting bugs / problems with our websites
- Trying out new sites in development and giving us feedback
- Showing people in your community how they can use OpenAustralia Foundation’s projects to find things out and get things done
Or if you do have specialist skills we’d welcome your efforts in the following areas:
- Legal – advice, drafting agreements. Constitutional and copyright law
- Financial – Tax advice, auditing, accounting
- Writing – Edit & Draft – write for any of our websites
- Design – service design
- Software / Web development
- Systems Administration
Your time and expertise will help us develop new projects, or help us maintain, extend and improve our current projects.
How much time?
It’s up to you how much time you want to put in. It could be anywhere from half an hour every few weeks to several hours per week. The more time you put in the more you’ll get out of it.